Art by Wendy paintings, crafts, and other handmade items

Sunday, June 2, 2013

My first ICE resin project!



I had a lady stop at my booth a few months ago and she asked me if I could take her heirloom pocket watch handed down to her and make some jewelry out of it. I said I sure could, but, when I saw the pocket watch I almost turned her down! It was so pretty and old I felt bad destroying it! But she said she never used it and it was stuck away where she never got to enjoy it and it was beyond repair....so I tore into it and managed to get seven pieces of jewelry out of that one pocket watch. The piece above is a broach I made using the back of the watch. I wanted to show the ornate designs it had.


This is from the main body of the watch and I used an image I thought was fitting. I also used ICE resin for the first time and I love it! I've used other resins in the past and they sometimes left bubbles or if I didn't mix it correctly It was sometimes sticky and never completely dried.  This stuff is fool proof! No measuring and no bubbles!


The lady that commissioned the jewelry LOVES snowmen so I had to do one piece for her with a snowman! I used the ICE resin again with this piece.


I had quite a few left over small bits and since this was not my watch I wanted to try to use every part from the watch if possible. I decided to put all of the small bits into a tiny vial and added it to a necklace with a small locket .

These are an earring and bracelet set. I used the watch cock out of her watch for one earring and used one of my own for the other earring .(pocket watches only have one each) Then I used a big part of the insides of the watch for the bracelet. I also made a ring out of a part of the face of the watch but the picture turned out blurry so I am not able to show it. All in all she got a lot of jewelry from that one pocket watch and she seemed to like it all when she got it back. My next project is a couple of altered notebooks for my swap group so new project pictures coming soon!I will be sharing my project at the Friday ICE linky party at vintiquities workshop

2 comments:

Wendy Ketelsen said...

This is a test comment...having problems with people not being able to leave comments. I think it may be working now!

Gaby Bee said...

Your ICE resin pieces look absolutely fantastic, Wendy!

I hope you are having a wonderful summer.

Gaby xo