Art by Wendy paintings, crafts, and other handmade items

Friday, March 1, 2013

Altered notebook and a swap


My sisters birthday is Sunday and I wanted to make something for her. I've already made her a necklace so I decided to make her an altered notebook. I have signed up for two altered notebook swaps with the Blissfull art group that I belong to and I thought this would give me some practice before I made the ones for the group!

I took a basic composition book and used some really cool papers from The Paper Studio and some stickers from Bo Bunny. I have learned that you should put wax paper or something between the cover and the pages when gluing...it was not pretty! I also altered the inside cover on the front and back.


I used two decorative keys on the front and back cover as a way to tie the book shut.


My sister is a physicist so I figured she might use this for projects or research. I tore a page out of a dictionary and framed it on the cover. I think it turned out pretty good for my first altered notebook, and I did learn a few things for the next two I make!


this is an ATC I received from Kimberly at Art Joy Stuff . She is doing a new swap every week with a new person every week for a year! She calls it 52 weeks, 52 artists, 52 trades. I sent her an ATC I made awhile back with a Paris theme and this is what she sent me.

I love the vintage feel of this ATC!  If you go to Kimberly's blog you can see pictures of the ATC's she has received so far. There is a lot of talent out there!

5 comments:

AM said...

Hi Wendy, I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say WOW! Love the notebook you made for your sister. Wishing you a great weekend and your sister a Happy B-day! gr. AM

Curtains in My Tree said...


I love making altered note books

I have been trying to start a new project for today so, going to my studio and start another altered art book
I made a few a couple years ago and gave them all away to friends

I really like yours and thanks for the wax paper hint

Janice

Barb said...

OMG Wendy, your sister is going to flip over this amazing altered book, it's fan-tastick !!!
Thanks for sharing.
Barb

Ann said...

oh...the gorgeous eye candy!!!
your altered journal is beautiful!!
i also like to use non-stick foil crumpled up b/w the pages to hold them apart to dry better! this works well when you have lots of fibers near the spine.
you sister is going to be thrilled with this beautiful journal.
the ATC's are breathtaking!

Mina said...

OMG, Amy! Call me impressed a million times over. Your first one??? You are so creative. I am truly in awe over this. Warmest hugs sweetie, Mina